HOME EYE SAFETY MONTH
Almost 50 percent of the 2.5 million eye injuries yearly occur at home. And 90% of these injuries could have been prevented had the individuals been wearing protective eye wear.
Eye injury facts and tips.
- Accidental eye injury is one of the leading causes of visual impairment in the United States
- Men are more likely to suffer with an eye injury than women.
- The leading causes of eye injuries include sports accidents, consumer fireworks, household chemicals and battery acid, as well as workshop and yard debris
- Eyes can be damaged by the sun, not just dust, chemicals and foreign bodies.
- Injuries such as cuts, chemical burns or foreign bodies stuck in the eye are emergencies. Don’t try to treat these yourself – contact us or emergency room for help immediately.
- In case of a chemical burn to the eye, flush the eye with clean water and seek emergency medical treatment immediately.
- Wear safety goggles when working in the workshop or yard, jump-starting your car or working with cleaning or other chemicals. Appropriate protective eye wear is classed as eye wear with “ANSI Z87.1” marked on the lens or frame. Safety goggles protect your eyes against particles and dust, flying debris, and chemical splashes. Remember, your regular glasses won’t do the job, but you can find safety goggles that will fit right over them to ensure protection from all angles
- Always wear appropriate protective eyewear during sports and recreational activities.
- When you’re using products like bleach, detergents, and cleansers, never mix chemical agents. Make sure you always read and follow the directions, manufacturer warnings and guidelines. Make sure you stay in areas that are well-ventilated.
- Provide lighting in stairways and other areas around the house that may be easy to stumble around at night.
- If you’re cooking with oil, be sure to use some sort of shield to prevent it from splashing up on you.
- Make sure tools and cleaning supplies are out of the reach of children.
Avoid at-home eye injuries this month and every month to follow!
Protect your eyes at home so you can
See Better... Live Better
Call 913-341-4508 or email: [email protected] to make an appointment.